Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Searle-y Drawings

I recently gave myself a challenge. The mission: to try drawing some of my stuff in a looser Ronald Searle style, who had an expressive inking style. I busted out the dip pen and ink and gave myself a task of drawing characters from children's stories, in his loose sketchy style. Somehow Napoleon crept into the line-up. It was a lot of fun. Maybe I'll keep it going with some more drawings... Here are the results:

Baron Munchausen

Captain Ahab

Baker with crows in pie

Jack Frost

Ghost Of Jacob Marley

Mother Goose


 Musketeer #3

Napoleon Bonaparte

Pippi Longstocking

The Sandman

Tiny Tim











3 comments:

  1. Hi Rhode!

    First of all I'm super-impressed by these drawings, great work!

    I would love to get in contact with you regarding one of these wonderful illustrations. I've got a little project with a special character that you just happen to have depicted here in all his glory.

    Anyway, please contact me on the email I used here so we can talk some more.

    Looking forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. Some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loving this, and used one of them on my card. If you wanna se it is featured here: http://kaboks.com/privat/blog/barndomshelten-min/

    ReplyDelete